Time: August 3, 2019 at 9:30am to August 4, 2019 at 5pm
Location: Old Sturbridge Village
Street: 1 Old Sturbridge Village Road
Website or Map: http://www.osv.org/event/redc…
Event Type: museum, event, reenactment, osv
Organized By: Old Sturbridge Village
Latest Activity: Jul 23, 2019
Redcoats & Rebels
Saturday, August 3 to Sunday, August 4, 2019
See the largest military re-enactment in New England with nearly 1,000 soldiers portraying British, Scottish, French and Colonial troops. The Village is transformed into a military camp from the time of the War for Independence, as it was known in early New England. Come see what it was really like for those who fought to win America’s freedoms.
On Saturday, August 3, you can stay for special extended hours. The Village grounds (excluding historic buildings) will be open until 8:00 pm and visitors can mingle with troops in their camps from 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm. There is no additional charge for the evening program. (The Village will close at its normal time, 5:00 pm on Sunday.)
Daytime events on both days include activities such as:
• Mock battles and skirmishes
• Tours of the British and American camps
• "School of the Soldier" training demonstrations
• 18th-century Fashions in the Press featuring military and civilian clothing
• Cannon demonstrations
• Musket drilling with kids
• Martial music
• Help with camp laundry
• Drilling and inspection of the troops
• Visit the battlefield hospital - see small pox inoculations and treatment of the wounded after the battles
• See the daily life of a Revolutionary War soldier - including delivery of uniforms, pay calls, and prisoner exchanges
• Attend a "Service for the Troops"
• Learn 18th-century dances
Please note: Free admission passes may not be used on Redcoats & Rebels. Standard admission (or a Season Pass or Membership) apply.
This event is generously sponsored by: Dexter-Russell.